These pages are designed to provide information to individuals who are currently, or will soon be, undertaking a trainer role in secondary care or undergraduate education.
Trainers in primary care may also find the links to professional development on these pages of use as many trainer skills are generic and apply to education and training in both primary and secondary care. There is however a separate recongition process for trainers in primary care. For further information on this, please click here.
Message from Dr Tom Lawson, Postgraduate Medical Dean, HEIW:
Since the publication of the GMC’s process for the recognition of trainers in secondary care and undergraduate education in August 2012, the trainer recognition process has come a long way. Trainers in Wales are now formally recognised via a Medical Trainer Agreement (Secondary Care and Undergraduate Education) which is accessed via HEIW’s online Trainer Agreement Gateway (TAG).
We are proud that Wales was the first nation in the UK to adopt a single harmonised approach to Trainer Recognition across undergraduate and postgraduate education and training, demonstrating HEIW and the medical schools’ commitment to collaboratively supporting individuals across the continuum of medical education and training in Wales and enabling individuals to move ‘fluidly’ between the training roles.
We are also committed to supporting and developing trainers across Wales by hosting and signposting professional development opportunities in relation to their educational roles.
We would like to say a huge thank you to all of our trainers for their commitment and dedication to the provision of high quality education and training and for supporting trainees in both their personal and professional development to enable them to provide a high quality healthcare service for the future.
We hope that these pages will provide a useful and supportive resource for current trainers as well as for individuals who are keen to be involved in medical education and training in the future.
- The Trainer Recognition Process
- Trainer roles requiring recognition
- The All-Wales Medical Trainer Agreement (Secondary Care and Undergraduate Education)
- Eligibility to become a trainer
- How to become a trainer
- CPD requirements for trainers
- Professional development opportunities
- Appraisal of trainer roles
- Relinquishing the trainer role
- Further information
- Trainer Recognition: Training for Excellence - 08/02/21
- Cydnabod Hyfforddwyr: Hyfforddiant Rhagoriaeth - 08/02/21
- Trainer Recognition: Training for Excellence - 15/02/21
- Cydnabod Hyfforddwyr: Hyfforddiant Rhagoriaeth - 15/02/21
- Trainer Recognition: Training for Excellence - 01/03/21
- Cydnabod Hyfforddwyr: Hyfforddiant Rhagoriaeth - 01/03/21